Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Going to the gym


In 1976 I decided to get back into shape. After 6 months of cardio training, I lost 60 pounds and ran my first marathon in Erie, PA. I was fortunate to complete 33 marathons, the last being Long Beach, CA in 1991.
In the late 1980's, I started going to the gym, mainly lifting weights. At the left is a photo of about 5 years ago. At that time, I had pumped my muscles up to an uncomfortable size.
My message here is to encourage everyone to pariticipate in some form of exercise, appropriate for you. For many, this might be brisk walking. Others might like swimming, biking, or playing ball with your children. A gym is not necessary for exercise. However, I find it motivating to be in an environment where people are exercising and having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment